Ingredients in making rasam powder:
Dry red chillies : 1 1/2 cups
Coriander : 1 1/2 cups
Black Pepper : 1/2 cup
Fenugreek : 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin : 1 tbsp
Thoor dal : 1/4 tbsp
Bengal dal : 1/4 tbsp
Asofetida : 1/2 tsp
1. First dry roast the black pepper and coriander seeds separately in a hot pan. Don't over roast it.
2. By adding little oil, fry the dry red chillies, fenugreek, mustard seeds, urad dal, thoor dal , bengal dal and asofetida separately because each of the ingredients has different timing of roasting.
4. Store it in a tight container or jar and keep refrigerated. This has one month storing capacity.
Ingredients for making instant rasam :
Big and ripe tomato : 1
medium sized lime : 1
Garlic : 7 cloves
Coriander leaves : 4 stalks
Rasam powder : 2 tbsp
Salt : as needed
To Temper :Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Asofetida : 1/8 tsp
Dry red chillies : 2
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
Oil : 1 tbsp
1. First grind chopped tomato and whole garlic pods with skin into coarse paste as below.
2. Finely chop the coriander leaves and keep aside for garnish.
3. In a hot pan, add a tbsp of oil and fry ingredients under "To temper" section lightly.
4. Now add and fry ground paste for about 10 minutes till the raw smell of garlic and tomato disappear.
5. After that, 3 cups of water is added with salt as much needed and let it come to a simmer.
6. At this stage add rasam powder and further simmer for 5 minutes and switch off the stove.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and lime juice extracted from one lime is also added for pleasant sour taste. The rasam is a soup that gives spicy and tangy sensation to the taste bud.