|Indian style stir fried egg cabbage and curry leaves gravy|
Ingredients :Small onions :6 (optional )
Garlic : 6 cloves (optional)
Curry leaves : 2 handfuls
Thoor dal : 2 tbsp
Bengal dal : 1 tsp
Dry red chillies : 5
Black pepper : 2 tsp
Grated coconut : 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Asofetida or hing : 1/2 tsp
Tamarind : small lemon size
Water : 3 to 4 cups
To Temper :Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek : 1/2 tsp
Salt : as needed
Gingerly oil : 3 tbsp
1. In a pan, adding 1 tbsp gingerly oil, fry onions and garlic lightly. Keep aside.
2. With leftover oil in that same pan, fry thoor dal and bengal dal till light brown colour and keep aside. After that, you need to fry curry leaves till crisp and followed by red chillies. Remove them and keep aside. Grated coconut is fried till brownish colour along with black pepper. All the fried ingredients need to be ground to a fine powder without adding water.
3. Soak tamarind in 4 cups warm water for 10 minutes and squeeze the extract out. To the tamarind extract, mix turmeric and asofetida.
4. Using 3 tbsp gingerly oil, splutter mustard seeds, ensued by cumin and fenugreek.
5. Then add the ground curry leaves powder and tamarind extract. Let it simmer and reduced to a thick semi gravy consistency with little oil floating on top. Lastly, add lightly fried onions and garlic pods.
6. The consistency of the gravy is according to your preference. You can bring the gravy to thick stage or semi gravy.
7. Curry leaves gravy could last at least for 3 to 4 days when keep well in refrigerator.