Tuesday 15 July 2014

Sago and Pumpkin in Sweet Coconut Milk

I had leftover pumpkin after using half of it for the Virtual Iftar Potluck. You know that I've made a Sri Lankan pumpkin curry out of it. Whenever, I took out something from the refrigerator, I could sense an eye watching every movement of mine closely. Then, I realized half piece of the pumpkin staring at me pitifully from the corner of the first rack in the fridge. If only the pumpkin could speak, then it would have shouted at me, "Hey! get me out of here". For two weeks it had been lying there and I had totally forgotten about it. When I was cracking my head for an inspiration, out of the blue came an idea at the speed of light of what I'm going to do with the last batch of the pumpkin. It's a Sago and Pumpkin in Sweet Coconut Milk. I love this dessert as I can control the quantity of sugar used and plus the pumpkin is already sweet enough to help me stick firm to my decision. Since, this the month of Ramadan, I thought the dessert would be refreshing and appealing to the palate. 

Sago and Pumpkin in Sweet Coconut Milk


 Ingredients :

Chopped pumpkin : 1 1/2 cups
Sago : 1 /4 cup
Screw pine leaves : 3 tied knot
Coconut milk : 1 cup to 2 cups
Palm Sugar/ Gula Melaka/ Deep brown sugar : as needed
Salt : a pinch

Method :

1. Chop the pumpkin to small cubes and measure to 1 1/2 cups. Boil it with enough water till they are cooked and soft. You may use the water itself later.



2. Boil sago separately in water till they become translucent and clear. The size of the sago will be doubled.

3. In a pan, add palm sugar with little water and let it dissolve on medium flame. Filter the impurities. Use the clean palm sugar syrup, screw pine leaves, a pinch of salt and pumpkin in the same pan. Stir them gently till pumpkin is nicely mashed with small bits and pieces. That's fine.

4. I prefer to use deep brown sugar or palm sugar but not Indian palm sugar called 'Jaggery' as the flavor overpower the dessert. I also didn't give measurement for sugar as you have to taste and add as much needed. 

5. Lastly, add  cooked sago and coconut milk. Let it simmer for 3 min and switch off the flame. Add more water if you find the dessert to be too thick or not enough of liquid.




-Abby


































2 comments:

  1. interesting recipe Abby... sago and pumpkin seems to b a delicious combo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was. Thanks for dropping by to my blog :)

      Delete

Spicy Vegetable Biryani

  Spicy Vegetable Biryani INGREDIENTS :  Basmati or Seeraga Samba rice - 2 cups Water - 3 1/2 cups Oil - 3 tablespoons Ghee - 2  teaspoons C...