Fried rice is a lazy man's cooking said by my mother but I creatively changed her notion as one of the most versatile cooking that gives me an ultimate privilege of chucking in varieties of vegetables and seafood. I'm constantly amazed with the satisfying end result which can be eaten without any side dish or uses minimal spice ingredients. Although the fried rice isn't emphasizing on its authentic background, yet I called it 'Chinese Fried Rice' maybe because of the touch of Chinese sesame oil which is so robust in a pleasant way. Anyway, one thing for certain, fried rice was absolutely mind blowing.
|Chinese Fried Rice|
Cooked rice : 4 cups (refer to the method of preparation in Black Pepper Fried Rice
Shredded Cabbage : 2 cups
Carrot : 1 (grated using slightly wider blade as it gives nice crunch and texture)
Green Peas : 1/2 cup
Finely chopped green chillies : 6
Finely chopped garlic : 6 cloves
Finely sliced small onion : 5
Medium sized prawns : 16
Beaten egg : 1
Chinese sesame oil : 1tbsp
Cooking oil : 2 tbsp
Black pepper powder : as needed
Salt : as needed
Sugar : 1/8 tsp
1. In a hot pan, add 2 tbsp of ordinary oil. Start frying the sliced onions, finely chopped green chillies and garlic till translucent.
2. Then immediately, add shredded cabbage and grated carrot with salt as needed. Fry till vegetables are slightly cooked but not over cooked. At this stage, you can chuck in prawns and add 1/8 tsp of sugar. Prawns required 3-4 minutes of cooking.
3. Make a well in the center of the vegetable mixture, and now add beaten egg which has been already mixed with little salt, 1 tbsp of Chinese sesame oil and 1/4 tsp of black pepper. Let it cook without stirring for 4 minutes and now you may start scrambling the egg with rest of the mixture evenly.
5. Now add cooked rice, another 1 tsp - 1 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder ( adjust accordingly). Give it a quick mix.
6. Lastly, mix the green peas and switch off the stove. Mix the fried rice well. Close the wide pan with a lid in order to allow peas to cook in the heat of the fried rice.
7. Serve hot with some potato chips.