Nothing is so comforting than a big bowl of Indian Style Tomato Soup served with plain rice. It's a versatile dish as it complements well with any stir fried vegetables or fried fish. The dish tastes superb whenever cooked with extra love. You may have tried various type of soup recipes but I can assure that this family recipe indeed a keeper and will definitely change your perception on how a humble bowl of soup could create a magic. I paired the hearty Tomato and Cauliflower Soup with piping hot plain rice and fried fish.
|Indian Style Tomato and Cauliflower Soup|
Small onions : 6
Large ripe tomatoes : 3
Cauliflower : 1 1/2 to 2 cups
Small green chillies : 4 to 5
Cooked yellow moong dal : 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves : a small bunch
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Water : 3 1/2 cups
Oil : 1 tbsp
Salt : as needed
To Temper :
Cinnamon stick : 1
Cloves : 6
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Whole black peppercorns : 1/2 tsp
1. Blanch the cauliflower in a hot salted water for 10 minutes. Later remove the water and keep aside.
2. In a pan, add a tbsp of oil. After the oil is slightly hot, temper all the ingredients under "To Temper" section. The colour of fennel seeds should change to light brown.
3. Then, fry sliced onions till translucent and immediately continue the frying process with slitted green chillies, finely chopped tomatoes and salt.
4. After the tomatoes turn mushy and well cooked, now mix cooked yellow moong lentils which has been mashed well, turmeric powder, cauliflower and 3 1/2 cups of water.
5. Let it simmer for 10 -15 minutes.
6. Switch off the flame and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.