Monday 4 August 2014

Steamed Mini Moist Chocolate Cake (Healthy)

I was extremely overwhelmed when my experiment with steamed version of cake became a success. As you know, I have always avoided baking for the amount of baking powder or soda used in all the bakery items. Furthermore, all purpose flour or cake flour is a must in getting the moist cake consistency. Few days ago, I was in dilemma and made an attempt to google for a solution. Luckily, I stumbled across some interesting blogs about Traditional Chinese Steamed Cake in which egg plays pivotal role in creating rising effect and at the same time moisten the cake by substituting the work of soda. Still I was unhappy with the amount of sugar recommended and hesitated using all purpose flour which is not healthy for our body. I wanted something natural and moderate so I decided to make a cake based on my intuition as women are naturally blessed with that ability. I substituted the plain flour with homemade whole wheat or atta flour and reduced the sugar more than half as the ingredients used in the cooking chocolate had some sugar content. Here I didn't use butter or oil as the cooking chocolate has cocoa butter which I thought might add some moisture to the cake. Since I'm sending the cake to Ahlan Ramadan- The Healthy Way, I ensured it is healthy and safe for everyone to consume. 





               “Sending this entry to Ahlan Ramadan –The Healthy Way” 



Ingredients :

Cake flour (Using whole wheat or atta flour and corn flour) : 1/4 cup
Small sized eggs (Grade C) : 2
Brown sugar :1 tbsp
Vanilla essence : 1/4 tsp 
Melted cooking chocolate : 3 tbsp to 4tbsp
Salt : a pinch

Method :

1. First, break the two eggs into a wide bowl along with a tbsp of brown sugar. Beat them using hand mixer on high speed for 5 minutes and then switch to medium speed. Continue the whisking till the mixture change into pale cream color. Try to lift the mixture up to check whether it has reached the ribbon consistency and the peak form should take at least 10 seconds to fall back into the bowl. Stop at that stage. We want to incorporate more air into the cake as no baking powder or soda is used. 

2. Cooking chocolate is melted using double boiler method and cool it aside.

3. I made my own cake flour at home without double action agents by measuring 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour and removing out 1/2 tbsp of whole wheat flour which has been taken previously and then adding back 1/2 tbsp of corn flour. Sift the flour for 3 times.

4. Add the melted chocolate of 3 tbsp, flour, 1/4 tsp vanilla essence and a pinch of salt into the mixture. Mix it well till everything is fully incorporated but remember not to over mix it. 

5. Get the steamer ready and I poured the chocolate cake batter into six mini stainless steel ramekins which were steamed for 15 minutes. 

6. Since this cake doesn't have leavening agent, you can't expect to keep the cake for more than 1 day. Re-steam for second serving to moisten the cake. It was moist and tasty the moment it came out of the steamer.


-Abby

2 comments:

  1. thank you for linking this to our event Abby.. the cake looks moist and perfect
    New event:
    Dish it out- Wholegrain Dishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting both the events as they've opened a doorway for me to explore healthy dishes which I never thought of making. Looking forward to participating in the new event :)

      Delete

Spicy Vegetable Biryani

  Spicy Vegetable Biryani INGREDIENTS :  Basmati or Seeraga Samba rice - 2 cups Water - 3 1/2 cups Oil - 3 tablespoons Ghee - 2  teaspoons C...