Wednesday, 20 August 2014
Indian Style Beetroot Soup
One of my favourite soup recipe. I love the deep red color of the beetroot as well as its earthy sweet flavor which works so well with all the Indian spices used in this recipe. Having a bowl of beet soup with toasted French baguette infused in garlic butter is a divine eating experience. At home, my mother used to prepare this soup quite frequently and best eaten with piping hot rice and spicy fried fish.
Small red onions : 7
Large ripe tomatoes : 3
Grated beetroot : 1/2 cup
Small green chillies : 1 or 2
Crushed garlic cloves : 3
Cooked yellow moong dal : 1/4 cup
Curry leaves : a sprig
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Water : 3 1/2 cups or more
Oil : 1 tbsp
Salt : as needed
Cinnamon stick : 1 (3 inches long)
Cloves : 6
Star anise : 1
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Whole black peppercorns : 1/2 tsp
1. I pressure cooked the yellow moong lentils with 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and 3 cloves of crushed garlic with enough water for 3 whistles. After that, I mashed the dal along with well cooked garlic. Excess water and mashed dal left in the pressure used in this recipe.
2. In a pan, add a tbsp of oil. After the oil is slightly hot, temper all the ingredients under "To Temper" section. The color of fennel seeds should change to light brown.
3. Then, fry sliced onions till translucent and immediately continue the frying process with slitted green chillies, grated beetroot and finely chopped tomatoes and salt.
4. After the tomatoes turn mushy and well cooked, now mix cooked yellow moong lentils which has been mashed well and 3 1//2 cups of water or more.
5. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Switch off the flame and garnish with finely chopped curry leaves.
Karuvepillai Idli Podi/ Curry Leaves Spice Powder is a wonderful way to make use of curry leaves and enjoy the benefit that it offers. Curry...
'Rendang' is a type of thick semi-dry gravy very popular in Malaysia and Indonesia which is slow cooked by using roasted and poun...
My mother and I simply adore the simplicity portrayed by a famous Bengali dessert called 'Rasgulla'. This cheese dumpling is amazi...
Amaranth leaves are leafy green from the Amaranth plant. It is widely grown and eaten in Africa, Asia and Caribbean. It is also becoming pop...